For many autistic kids, the chlorine and other chemicals added to swimming pools, can cause problems.
Because this is a subject that is discussed frequently on many message boards, I have compiled here, in no
particular order, the ideas posted by parents which have been found to be helpful for their children. You
may need to experiment to find which idea/s work for YOUR specific child.
- Some kids are sensitive to chemicals, including chlorine.
- Chlorine is added to pool water to keep the bacteria levels down, and especially if your child drinks it,
it can cause yeast to increase.
- Epsom salt baths after swimming [helps with detox].
- Give taurine.
- Use Baquacil instead of chlorine in the pool.
- Algaecides, that usually come along with the chlorine, are full of copper.
[Note: you can't use copper-based algaecides with Baquacil, only non-copper algaecides.]